- Justin Cheng's talk on predicting cascades in social networks was just beautiful.
- "The original Yahoo search engine implementation was a system call to grep." -- Qi
- Tim Berners-Lee warned us all of the impending
singularity in a monster voice.
- I had great conversations with Bob West (who works with Jure
Leskovec) and Joel Pfeiffer (who
works with Jen Neville) about generative models of graphs, why they are
important, and how to deal with the inherent horrific intractability of the problem.
Joel gave a great talk on the subject.
- Bob told me that you can buy a 1Tb (random access) memory machine for about
$10,000. I want it. He also had this great insight that if you are disk-bound, but have a ton of ram, load the data
into memory once and keep it there, querying it from client programs.
- "Florence: Where the future arrives sooner."